Box 1

Box 1
STEAM

Box 2

Box 2
Character Education

Box 3

Box 3
Digital Learning

What's Saving Your Life Right Now?


What a great idea for the middle of winter! On February 2, we will be at the midway point of winter, and The modern Mrs. Darcy (a favorite blogger of mine!) has a tradition each year of writing down all the books and other things that are saving her life right now. It's easy to make a giant list of all the things that are absolutely killing us in the middle of a long and gray winter, but the idea of turning those thoughts from negative to positive is intoxicating to me right now! 

Here's my list of books that are currently saving my life:

Wintering by Katherine May uses examples from nature, history, and legends to show how retreat and relaxation can really get us through difficult times. Winter can be hard. It is especially hard during these pandemic times. Reading this book let me know that it's very ok to slow down, cuddle up under a soft quilt, and read. Even as a busy teacher, you don't have to be constantly involved in preparation, planning, doing, and assessing. It's ok to take some quiet time for yourself.

Wish You Were Here by Jodi Picoult is a tale born of the isolation that the author experienced during the pandemic, as so many of us have experienced. Without giving too much away, this book has encouraged me to fall asleep more easily at night, looking forward to dreams. Since finishing this one, I do sleep better  even if it takes an extra sweater and two pairs of socks! I also find it interesting to remember my dreams. 

The Stranger in the Lifeboat by Mitch Albom has renewed my spiritual faith. It has also caused me to reread his earlier book, The First Phone Call From Heaven. With so many now missing from my life, the idea of such an occurrence brings me joy and gives me hope that someday we will meet again.

Books for kids that I love to share, and that save my life when I do so:

Each Little Bird That Sings by Deborah Wiles


This is an old favorite from my personal and class bookshelves. I've always asked for parent permission first because the main character, Comfort Snowberger, lives in her family's funeral home and has attended 247 funerals. I always thought that might be considered too intense or scary for some kids, but I have never had a parent say that their child could not participate.

Even the first line resonates, " I come from a family with a lot of dead people." Don't we all?
Comfort says it so beautifully herself:
"...death is hard. Death is sad. But death is part of life. When someone you know dies, it's your job to keep on living.
So...we did. We adjusted. We did what we always do when death comes calling:
    We gathered together.
    We started cooking.
    We called the relatives.
    We called our friends.
    We did not have to call the funeral home. We are the funeral home.
    I wrote the obituary."

And Comfort eventually takes over writing the obituaries for her local newspaper. She call them "Life Notices" rather than "Death Notices". She writes the most unique obituaries you will ever read, truly celebrating the life of each person. Comfort teaches each of us to find gratitude in the sweet, funny, and even outrageous events that make up a life. I met Comfort as a reader in my 50s, and she changed so much about my outlook on life. I like to think that she has done that for many of my students too!

Seven Wonders of Sassafras Springs by Betty G. Birney

More than a century ago, on a fictional farm in Sassafras Springs, Missouri, Eben McAllister has been fascinated by reading about The Seven Wonders of the World in school. He wants to take his first trip away from his "boring" home to visit relatives in Colorado. Eben's dad challenges him to find seven wonders right at home in Sassafras Springs that can rival the real Seven Wonders. Eben sets off on a journey of knocking on neighbors' doors to discover the origin stories about some ordinary seeming items. He hears magical tales about a doll that saved a life, a musical saw, an ordinary table, and an incredible wonder at the end that I won't spoil for you!

As Eben says:
"Sometimes extraordinary things begin in ordinary places. A fancy-dancy butterfly starts out in a plain little cocoon. A great big apple tree grows from a tiny speck of a seed. And the wonders started right on our own front porch on a hot summer night I would have forgotten on the spot if it hadn't been for what got started then and kept on going."
Once you start looking for the beauty in and finding gratitude in ordinary things, it's hard to stop. Eben sets a great example for all of us.

This book has held a special place in my heart for so many years. It was a favorite read-aloud for my students. We all loved how each chapter was its own little story. I based my writing lessons on it for a unit on memoirs. Each student created a "Wonder of Farmington Hills" story. (The location of our school.) Every story was a touching closer look at something that might otherwise have gone unnoticed.  One particular story still in my heart was the story about a rose that blooms each summer in one family's yard on the anniversary of the death of a favorite uncle who left them at a young age. Another was the story of how the Rainbow City (my classroom name - but you knew that, right?) Rocking Chair came to be. It was a special chair, painted and repainted every year by each new class, but of course the story of how it came to be was nothing like the real one!

We sent our collection of "The Wonders of Farmington Hills" to Betty Birney and she loved it! She sent us a beautiful letter to share with families and our school community as a celebration of our writing!

The best lesson here though, is the same as above - finding beauty and feeling gratitude when looking at simple everyday things. "Fancy-Dancy butterfly". I still love that!

What saves my life as I move through the world:

Strolling past my grandchildren's home in our neighborhood (when it's not too cold) and seeing that they are home makes my heart so happy! As I approach the door and hear our two littlest sweethearts literally shreik, "GRANDMA'S HERE!!!!!" saves my life for sure every time!

I have some grandchildren who live around the corner, and some who live on the other side of the world. Zoom and FaceTime have saved my life by allowing me to have long visits with each of the sweethearts that I've been unable to see in person since 2019. 

As I move through the snowy days in Michigan, I've been fortunate for the past few years since retirement to get away to warmer places for a little while. Although I discover new things about my Michigan neighborhood every time I go for a walk, warm weather walks such as a recent one in Venice, Florida, are definitely life saving! Although I have taken this walk last year and the year before, this time I noticed the most beautiful and colorful sculptures of seahorses and mermaids scattered throughout the downtown area. They made my walk even more of a dream! The photos and memories should keep me going throughout the second half of this snowy winter!


What saves your life? I would love to hear about it all in the comments below!

To save your teacher life and make your work easier in the days ahead, check out all the new resources at Rainbow City Learning!


For the original post, go to The Modern Mrs. Darcy's post!





No comments