Box 1

Box 1
STEAM

Box 2

Box 2
Character Education

Box 3

Box 3
Digital Learning

Slipping Into Summer


Teachers, I've been watching you since March. Watching in amazement as you left your classrooms, shined up your tech skills, and took school to the internet. I have always loved dystopian novels - deliciously scary, and so far beyond reality that reading them was always an escapist and relaxing retreat from my everyday life. I never ever ever imagined my teaching friends, my precious family, and all of our students actually living through a scenario that could have sprung from the pages of a yet to be discovered dystopian novel of our own. Teaching, learning, and simply being are forever changed. 

I have felt that I was there with you as the world turned upside down and inside out. Glad to be retired, busy battling a nine week undiagnosed illness, yet wondering how I would have handled this brave new world of teaching and learning. Not as well as any one of you all, I'm sure. You are all my heroes.  

Yesterday was clap out day for our high school seniors here in my district. Graduating seniors would visit their elementary schools in cap and gown and students would clap and clap and clap as they toured the hallways and left the building. A beautiful tradition, filled with symbolism and love. The staff in our district and the parents in our neighborhood created a new normal for this important day: a socially distanced parade through our neighborhood and shout-outs on facebook with senior pictures, a list of their high school activities and honors, and college or program that each is headed for when the world reopens. I'm proud of the creativity I witnessed, but sad for these kids who were robbed of the best parts of senior year. 

Boundaries. I was actually going to write a whole blog post on this, but decided the last minute not to dwell on it too much. Remember when you created your lesson plans during the weeknights or weekend times that you preferred? Good times. Remember "office hours", which most parents respected in regard to contacting you? Welcome to always on stage, 24/7 teaching. I watched and waited, and was amazed every time at how you came through it all, shining like the stars that you always have been. Perhaps not feeling as strong as your smile showed, but doing it all plus much more every day. 

And here we are, arriving at a not to be believed end of a not to be believed year. This is the time to pack up your room, pass out your Super Summer Kits, collect your fabulous teacher gifts, and collect lots of hugs, smiling through your tears. Right? Not this year. I know that so many of you actually visited each of your students at a safe distance, and that others found their own way to goodbye. I'm here to tell you from the other side of your teacher life that your students loved you and appreciated all you did for them this year. When they look back on their school years, the older they get, the more they will realize what you did for them. Many of them will even find ways to tell you. I promise. 

No one knows what lies ahead this summer and beyond. It's hard to prepare for the new school year coming up before you realize it. The plans for opening sound really challenging, but hey, if anyone's up to it, it's you. You've shown us all what you are capable of. 

If you need a fun activity for your own children or to send to your students for a little summer learning fun, I hope you'll take a look at the Summer Resources at Rainbow City Learning. Watch for some short blog posts right here about some dollar sales and gift card giveaways that I will be taking part in during the summer, starting next week! To be sure that you don't miss any freebies or sale announcements in the future, be sure to fill in the pop up box on this page to join my mailing list!

If you are looking for a good dystopian adventure to take you away from the one we are currently living in, be sure to read The Giver by Lois Lowry. There are actually four books in that series, something I was not aware of when I taught fifth grade in the 90s! I'm reading the whole series now, but also reading whatever I feel like reading whenever I feel like it. I suggest you do the same! Adorable Fat Girl in Lockdown by Bernice Bloom was just that kind of book for me. Like eating a bowl of M&Ms. Or sampling twenty cakes. (You'll have to read it to hear about the cakes!)

For more ideas as we head into summer, be sure to check out the blogs of my friends in Teacher Talk! Want to join us? Ask me how!


You are invited to the Inlinkz link party!
Click here to enter

No comments